Sunday, January 27, 2008

And now I'm in South Beach

Thank you all for the notes/emails/phone calls! It breaks up the day!!!

It's been a long day. Memphis was pretty fascinating.

We went through a poor neighborhood, every other house was boarded up or broken. Then to this incredible church. They sang and clapped and danced! Hillary spoke, and then Rev. Samuel Billy Kyles talked. He was there the day Dr. King was killed. He described the hours before, how King teased him about buying a house without extra money for furniture. And then the shooting. And the blood and the sheets and the panic. It was really, really moving.

Afterwards we raced out of town to take a plane to Sarasota. Bumpy ride, smooth landing. I skipped Cuban lunch to walk around the outdoor market. I bought myself some earrings while I waited for editing questions. I looked for souveniers, but no luck.

Then a hop to Miami. Hillary had another fundraiser, so we are on our own. The restaurant we were suposed to dine/file/relax was a no go. It was quite posh (and beautiful), but had no power outlets. We went into our reserved room, and it was the wine cellar. THe manager followed us in and kept shouting "You break a bottle of wine, its $50,000!" It was jarring, to say the least. So we left. Now I am at a place called the Front Porch Cafe, overlooking the beach. It is dark down there, so unlike Santa Barbara, I don't think I will explore it tonight.

Looks like I will be back here in Florida on Tuesday. They are keeping me on the trail until then, then figuring out what to do with me. Tonight we're flying up to Tarrytown. Tomorrow its mostly New England, then back to DC in time for the State of the Union. I am going to send out an email to my girls in DC/Baltimore to see if anyone wants to meet up for dinner, since I will have a night off!

I am enjoying a mojito, awaiting some Mahi Mahi. Not such a dinner!!

No comments: