Friday, January 25, 2008

Obama for a change

Instead of staying in, catching up on some sleep before tomorrow, I decided to try to see Barack Obama before the primary season is over. You remember my theory, if I see everyone once, I will have covered the president! So far, only the Clintons and Edwards...

Anyway. I am at a beautiful Theater on the USC campus. He isn't here yet, but the crowd is amazing. They were lined up for over a block, in the cold. Young. Much more diverse. Energetic. Fascinating.

A choir sang a few songs. The couple of dozen people on the stage initiated a 'wave' through the crowd. Then an amazing young man came out and played the violin for 15 minutes. First he played over a remix of "I have a Dream" and then My Girl. It was something. Everyone cheering and singing and dancing. This is pretty fun!

On the whole, Obama's music is very different than Hillary's. Hootie and the Blowfish? Phil Collins? Not quite "She was an American Girl" and "The Rising." It's a nice change...

Because tomorrow I am on the Hillary plane! Nothing is official yet (hope I am not jinxing myself) but I am being told I will be on the plane with her tomorrow to Tennessee. Kinda freaking out. But it will be fun... Anyone know the patron saint for flying?

For now I am enjoying this crowd.

No comments: