Friday, January 25, 2008

Food.

I've been here one full day. But I feel the need to write about the food already.


South Carolinians like meat. A lot! But they are nice about it.

I went to a Mexican restaurant last night, El Chico. It was decorated nicely, if a little tacky. The margaritas were served in beer steins (odd). And there were no vegetarian options. None. Every salad had meat! I had some really tasty chicken, but still!

The bill said: We cater. Please remember us for your next event at your home, office or church.


Not a lot of church mentions on our bills in NY.

Today I tried to stop at a "grill" Reba found online for me to grab lunch. It turned out to be a beer store. That wasn't good for lunch. No other options up in Spartanburg, so I headed southeast, to the town of Newberry. There were signs for miles about the cute downtown. Well, it had a ton of chain fast food, but I wanted authentic southern! I drove down every street in town. No food.

Disheartened, I headed back to the highway and found a lovely pizzaria. Trying to keep an open mind about pizza down here, I went in, and ordered a grilled chicken salad. If I had my uploader with me, I would post the pic (promise I will eventually tonight). There was some iceburg under there, but it was tasty, smokie, on a grill for a long time, chicken. Probably at least a pound of it. It was delicious, but after an hour, I barely made a dent in it.

But the waitress who kept calling me doll and sweetheart loaded me up on 'Sweet Tea.' I asked what was in it and she winked and said it was a family secret. It was amazing. I had a few glasses, and when it was time to go, she even made me a cup to go. It was pretty awesome.

Tonight I am in Columbia, which is a neat little city. I can't really figure out its groove yet, but the college area is well lit, safe, and full of pretty little restaurants. But everywhere is really crowded and the bars were overflowing. And smokie (They still smoke inside here!). I started to loose hope and thought about heading back to the chains for a sad little dinner when I saw Indian Pavillion. Perfect. There were vegetables, tofu, naan! I was a happy girl!!! No smoking! Woo hoo!

The Navaratan Korma, which was spelled so differently I didn't recognize it on the menu, was tasty, but... well... lima beans and corn in korma???

No comments: